I’ll be honest! I’m on a bit of a rampage — why wouldn’t every business owner want to keep in touch with his clients and nurture his relationship with prospects? So what am I going to do about it? Today starts a series of blog posts about writing a newsletter for your business. It doesn’t matter if you are a product based business, a real estate agent, financial advisor or a coach — the same principles apply. Over the next few weeks, I’m going to cover why you need a newsletter; what a newsletter isn’t; mistakes to avoid; essential sections of a newsletter; ways to brainstorm content; tools & technology for building a newsletter; and what if you don’t have time to write a newsletter! There — anything else I should cover — please let me know!
Today, here are 5 reasons why you need a newsletter for your business:
1. A newsletter is a great REMINDER — that’s right. It reminds your clients & prospects who you are and what you do. I get lots of emails from LL Bean. I don’t open every single one; but just the fact that they send them to me REMINDS me that perhaps I should look at their website to see what I’m missing.
2. A newsletter (& it’s contents) position you as an EXPERT; because of course, you are the expert! Remind me … you are the expert ____________(fill in the blank). And we know that people would rather purchase from an expert. If you needed surgery, you would find a surgeon who was a specialist rather than expecting a general practionner to perform complicated surgery!
3. A newsletter (just like the rest of your marketing) should be focussed on building & strengthening the relationships you have with your clients & prospects! It’s nurturing! Remember people buy from those they know, like and trust — you improve your K-L-T factor with each newsletter they read.
4. A newsletter MAINTAINS ties with your current customers! Here’s a perfect example. Several years ago I hired a closet company to do a custom closet in our master bedroom. They did awesome work at a reasonable price. But I never heard from them again. How many other closets do I have in my home that I could have used their service? MANY. Keep in touch with those people who have already purchased from you.
5. A newsletter can increase your VISIBILITY to your target market. You don’t want to remain the ‘best kept secret’ in your industry! Create a value-based, great content newsletter and this information will get shared and you will get talked about!
There you have it — 5 reasons why EVERY business needs a newsletter. Stay tuned for the rest of my newsletter series! If you would like some help creating a newsletter or a marketing plan, please book a Business Breakthrough Session with me today (click here)!