I love home decorating and renovation. I buy the magazines and watch all the HGTV shows. If you’re anything like me, you know that every year the magazines talk about what THE new colour for 2020. Can you guess what it is this year?
It’s similar with fashion, right? Fashion magazines show us upcoming trends. Now truthfully, I look at those fashions and wonder who the heck would wear that?? In public? But it’s all about how those new trends will influence the mass market.
Well, my friends – the same is true for marketing your small business. There are trends each year and they will influence how you and your competition use marketing. So, I wanted to share a few trends that you will see happening that could impact you and your small business marketing.
1. Live video will become even HOTTER!!! That’s right. Facebook Live as well as LinkedIn Live will have a huge impact on social media. The algorithms will favour live video over posts with pictures or just text.
So, what does that mean to you if you are using social media to increase your visibility? It means that no longer is it good enough to have pictures in your posts but you will get much more ORGANIC reach (a wider reach without paying for ads) if you use live video.
Can you increase your live videos in your social media? Could you do 2-3 lives per week? Of course you can!! It’s only practice – believe me I know as I’ve been doing weekly FB lives for about 2 years now.
In 2020, I’ll be aiming for 2-3 live videos per week!
What will you aim for?
2. YouTube will continue to increase in popularity. Google recently released a statistic that 68% of ALL people who use social media (across all age groups) are using YouTube. They search for ‘how to’ videos in almost every subject range – including yours!
In an article in Social Media Examiner, it’s recommended that at minimum, you have some of your core pieces of content on YouTube.
In early 2019, I decided to create more videos on my YouTube channel which you can subscribe to here. In 2020, my intention for YouTube is to add a professionally created intro and outro to all my videos.
What will you do with YouTube in 2020?
3. Although Facebook has seen some drop in participation, it is still the most widely used social media platform. Organic reach on personal pages is much higher than on business pages. With respect to business pages, it’s really the ability to create groups and activity within the groups that’s leading the trend in reaches.
Personally, I think that you’ll see a trend for more & more business owners using their personal FB page to highlight what life is like as a business owner or entrepreneur. I think you’re going to see more and more lifestyle, sharing of challenges, and even comments & videos about their businesses! (Hopefully, less and less cat videos or food pictures!)
So, here’s my challenge to you ….
- What will you be doing with social media this year?
- Will you be following the trends?
- Will you be making your own trend?
BTW – the pantone colour of the year is CLASSIC BLUE, instilling calm, confidence and connection!
YOU CAN DO THIS!!!
P.S. Congratulations to those clients who completed the Content Creation Bootcamp because I know that they will ROCK their content and social media in 2020.
If you missed the Live bootcamp, please watch for an upcoming release of the Home Study version where you’ll get the same workbook and as well as live video where we worked through the exercises with live attendees.
PPS. CEO MASTERMIND has room for 2 more smart business owners who want to scale their business in 2020. Application and information here.
BTW – remember last week I talked about creating your vision for your business – visualizing your perfect day! For more on the subject you might want to listen to this….
How you vision aligns everything!!